Next Step: I Want It So Bad



What’s Your Next Step?
December 17, 2011
By Kim Reisman

I want it so bad…

One of my favorite bands is the Gourds. They were in Lafayette a few weeks ago & John & I went as we usually do when they pass through. They’ve got a new album out right now call Old Mad Joy. You can check it out on iTunes. One song in particular struck me given that we’re smack in the middle of one of the most commercialized, co-opted by capitalists, holy seasons of the Christian faith – those days leading up to Christmas. It’s called I Want It So Bad & it’s a great swing type tune that John & I immediately had to dance to…

The first time I gazed upon that glorious thing/It made we wanna dance and delightfully sing/I whirled and twirled and laughed til I cried,


I love this song! I’ve been driving around delightfully singing every since I bought the CD. But there’s a little more to it…

I was so ecstatic until I realized/It was not mine nor would it ever be./Then a storm of emotion swept over me/My heart was broken, my hands were tied,/my one desire had been denied.

I want everything...

This time of year we’re bombarded with images of all the things we think we need but probably just want. And often we want those things really bad – that think-we-can’t-live-without-it kind of bad that can end up really messing with our heads…

Maybe it’s a dream, maybe it’s a thing,/Maybe it’s something that you’ve never seen/Maybe it’s happiness, maybe it’s love/Or maybe yer waiting for something to come from above

Maybe it makes you feel like you never succeed,/Maybe it makes you feel like you never get what you need./It’s a feeling that comes from within,/It’s universal between women and men

We just wanna be loved, we just wanna be whole,/We just wanna get back what we feel like was stole/From us as a child when we got schooled./Man that wasn’t fair, that wasn’t cool…

I’m still singing to my CD because this is a really catchy tune & I love to delightfully sing in the car. But here’s the kicker…

There ain’t no rule, there ain’t no law/That says we ever get what we want at all/We all know life ain’t fair/But we forget it when desire becomes despair…

Oops…got me…

I want this… no, I need this… wait, I deserve this. But I can’t have it….. Now what?

[Next Step is a faith formational ministry whose mission is to train, encourage and challenge Christ followers to live more fully as committed disciples of the Jesus way, to share their faith with greater love and boldness, and to impact their world with greater courage and integrity on behalf of Jesus Christ]

No comments:

Post a Comment